LOVE AND GRAVITY

Buckminster Fuller said, Love is metaphysical gravity. I agree. What else could it be? Without gravity you would float like an astronaut in a spacecraft. Up and down would mean nothing to you. Your slightest motion would send you tumbling head over feet or rolling controllably. If you pushed hard against a wall, you would shoot backward fast until you hit another wall. If the lights in the spacecraft went out, you would have no way at all of orienting yourself.

Without love the same thing happens. Every experience of anger, jealousy, resentment, and fear sends you spinning out of control. You have no way of knowing up from down except what your anger shows you, and it always shows you that you are right and someone else is wrong, that you are a victim and someone else is a villain. The more you act in anger, jealousy, resentment, or fear, the more painful consequences you create. You careen helplessly, spinning, rolling, hitting walls you can’t avoid and colliding with others.

Love grounds you. It orients you. Love brings your awareness to others and yourself. Love opens your mind and heart to others and yourself. Love settles you and gives you balance. When you choose to become sensitive and caring instead of frightened and selfish, your anger turns to appreciation, your jealousy to gratitude, and your resentment to caring. You cannot lose your orientation: when your deeds harm others you are in fear, and when you create harmony, cooperation, sharing, and reverence for Life you are in love. The ground beneath you is always solid.

That is why mystics say that only love is real. Now we are all becoming able to see for ourselves that we are parts of a larger fabric of Life and experience for ourselves what Bucky saw so clearly: Gravity calls you to the Earth. Love calls you to Life. And they always will.

Love,

Gary

• Published: April 19, 2012
  • Filed in: Blog

9 comments on “LOVE AND GRAVITY”

1. Mr. Free says:

Hi Gary,
    love your articles.
    I would love to know how we can bring & keep our selfs in love, so we can use the power of love in every aspect of our lives.

2. writer12345 says:

“Only love is real.”

That is true for me.

What if someone tells you, “Sometimes love isn’t enough.” What does that mean?

3. Dan says:

I love your quote from Buckminster Fuller! It must be a challange to come up with ways to expand on the same principles. The up side of that is that it’s not really that complicated to understand- intellectually. You could say,”it’s so simple that it’s hard”. Sometimes it’s harder to understand something emotionally, than it is to understand it intellectually. But, you know, you haven’t totally got it untill you can understand it emotionally.

4. ksgarrett says:

Isn’t it interesting eye2eye, that this article arrived in my Inbox just when I needed the reminder to Love, and not let the frightened parts of my personality take over and wreck havoc. 🙂 I’ve noticed more and more that the Universe does ‘have my back,’ even when it seems (or especially when it seems) my fellow human beings are not so cooperative. Thank you Gary and Linda, for all your modeling of what Spiritual Partnership is all about. It helps so much to see these principles lived, breathed and demonstrated on a daily basis.

5. Manny Otto says:

Beautifully stated, Gary! I really appreciated reading this in “A Fuller View: Buckminster Fuller’s Vision of Hope and Abundance for All” along with everything else it had to offer. I also enjoyed the contributions by Barbara Marx Hubbard, Lynne Twist, and John Robbins. With Love as our guide, we can transform this world into one in which ALL may experience access to abundance!

6. Patty Blakesley says:

This article reminds of a James Taylor song:

“Just shower the people you love with love
    Show them the way that you feel
    Things are gonna work out fine if you only will
    Shower the people you love with love .”
    Seems like a good place to start.
    Thanks, Gary, for your article.

7. Rem says:

Thank you, Gary. I remember the first time I heard from you when you were interviewed by Oprah, you spoke about the difference between Love and Romance. It was about a decade ago, and that triggered me to redefine my own understanding of Love. Thank you for your presence. I owe it to you as a teacher. I’ve been writing about Love in my blog and hope to finish a book this year. Wish me all the Love. Blessings of Love be with you and Linda.

8. eye2eye says:

Lovely article. I have been brewing about an incident or two, knowing it was wrong, but not knowing how to get myself off of the slippery wheel. Your posting came just in the nick of time. Reading it, it immediately settled me. A sense of calm came over me. And for now, it persists. That’s what truth does. Thank you for always making it so crystal clear.